Whenever termites attack your home, you want to get rid of them immediately. Because you know that the longer the delay, the more this problem will spread.
Chemicals are usually used on termites in two situations, first when you are doing a renovation or new construction. And you need some chemicals to protect the house from termites.
Secondly, when the termite infestation has widespread and now you want to get rid of them.
Now you will definitely ask me what chemical kills termites effectively? So my answer would be like this.
Different chemicals have different effects on different types of infestations. Because every chemical has its own pros and cons.
In this article, I will tell you the best chemicals that kill termites effectively. Also, I will point out their pros and cons and explain the process of applying them step by step.
Whatever chemicals I will suggest here, I will suggest them on the basis of infestations so that you can understand which chemical will be most effective on which type of infestation.
I will also recommend some chemicals that can be used while new construction, pre-construction, or renovation so that you can protect your house from termites.
After a lot of research, I have found 7 chemicals that effectively kill termites and prevent them from coming back. These chemicals include foam chemical, bait chemical, liquid chemical, and sprays for flying termites.
So without any further delay let’s get started:
4 Best Chemicals to Kill and Prevent Termites:
We will talk about different types of termite infestation here and accordingly, I will recommend chemicals to you.
1. Termidor Foam:
This chemical is most commonly used for indoor purposes. It is based on non-detectable chemical technology, also known as non-repellant technology.
The best thing about this chemical is that termites are unable to detect it and avoid it. And when termites ingest this chemical, they transfer it to the entire colony. It helps you to eliminate the hidden termite colonies in an effective manner.
This chemical uses Fipronil as an active ingredient that kills termites by damaging their central nervous system.
Now let’s talk about its pros and cons.
- Since it has an expansion ratio of 30:1, it means it works very well on hard-to-reach places.
- Termites cannot smell, taste or avoid it. They ingest it and transfer to the entire colony.
- Another addon is, it is an odorless chemical.
- This treatment works best for walls or drywall, ceiling and floor, fences, utility poles, landscape timbers, or under slabs.
- This chemical is quite affordable and its usefulness far exceeds its cost.
- Since it is for indoor purpose, its functionality is not high enough to protect the perimeter of your house from termites.
- It works on wood infestations but not as effective as Boracare. Boracare penetrate the wood better.
- It is not safe for pets and children until it dries completely after application.
- It takes up to 90 days to eliminate complete termite colonies.
- Since Termidor foam only lasts for 4 to 6 weeks, its use will not prove to be very effective to prevent termites for new construction or renovation. Taurus SC can perform better here.
How to Use?
Step 1: First of all you will need to drill holes where you suspect termite infestation.
Step 2: When drilling directly into the wood it is recommended to drill small holes every 3-4 inches until you find a spot where the drill bit does not meet the resistance. This will indicate that you have hit the termite gallery and where you should start applying.
Note: If you are treating drywalls then it is recommended that you drill holes about 18 inches up from the floor and between each stud around the infested area.
Step 3: Now apply the product directly into drilled holes. It will take up to 90 days to eliminate the termite colony.
Note: Read the label and follow all the instructions before using this chemical.
2. Taurus SC:
Taurus SC is used for outdoor infestations. It is also based on non-detectable chemical technology similar to Termidor Foam. Termites can not taste, smell or avoid, they pick it up on their body and spread it to the entire colony.
While the effect of Termidor Foam lasts only 4 to 6 weeks, the effect of Taurus SC lasts up to 10 years. Therefore, Taurus SC is considered the most effective preventive measure for pre-construction or new construction for termite control. This chemical also uses Fipronil as an active ingredient.
Let us now look at some of its pros and cons.
- It is very effective and can easily keep your entire house safe from termites for up to 10 years.
- It is a non-repellent chemical which is transferred from one termite to another and eliminate entire colonies.
- Taurus SC works best as termite prevention measure while getting a new construction or at the time of renovation.
- It is pet friendly and also odorless.
- In addition to killing termites, it also effectively kills ants, roaches, wasps and other pests.
- It cannot be used for indoor termite infestations.
- To apply it well, you have to do deep digging in the perimeter of your house which is quite effort intensive.
- This only protects the house from termites from the outside. If the termite gets on the walls or ceiling inside the house, it will not work on it.
- Takes up to 90 days to eliminate the entire colony.
How to Use?
Step 1: Before you start make sure you wear chemical-resistant gloves, long sleeves, long pants, socks, and closed-toe shoes.
Step 2: In the next step, you have to dig a trench. The trench against your house should be 6″ wide and 6″ deep.
Step 3: After successfully digging the trench, you have to mix this chemical point eight ounces per gallon of water. So In total, you will need 4 gallons of water and 3.2 ounces of chemicals. 4 gallons will work for 10 feet along with the house.
Step 4: Once you mix the substance into the water now it’s time to evenly distribute it over the trench around your house and wait for some time to dissipate the solution into the soil.
Step 5: Once the solution is dissipated in the soil, now you have to fill back the trench with soil that was taken out while digging.
The soil that was taken out is untreated, so when you fill it again in the trench, it is necessary to apply the solution on it too.
Note: Make sure you read all the instructions written on the label before applying the chemical.
As I mentioned in the cons of Termidor Foam that it works on wood but is not as effective as Boracare.
Boracare remains the first choice of professionals for termite infestations on wood. Because it penetrates deep into the wood and kills almost each and every termite that is stuck with wood fibers.
Disodium octaborate Tetrahydrate (Borate) 40% acts as an active ingredient in this chemical. Boracare uses a Special Glycol based material which allows it to penetrate deep into the wood.
The best thing that I like about Boracare is it provides lifelong protection to the wood. Many people also use it during pre-construction or at the time of renovation.
Let us now know about some of its pros and cons.
- Boracare Provides a lifelong protection to wood from termites.
- It kills the termites stuck deep in the wood fibers as it uses Glycol based material.
- Apart from all types of termites, this chemical also works on wood destroying beetles and decaying fungi.
- It is an odorless chemical.
- The best part is that you do not have to leave the house during the treatment.
- This chemical works for both indoor and outdoor infestations.
- It is not effective on concrete walls, ceilings and floors.
- It is a repellent chemical that can not be transfered from one termite to another, it kills on contact.
How to Use?
Step 1: First of all you will need few things before you start.
- A measuring cup for measuring the product.
- A pitcher for hot water.
- Sprayer to apply the product.
- A bucket for mixing the product in.
- A drill and a turf mark which is a dye that helps you see where you’ve actually applied the product (It is optional).
- protective gloves, protective glasses and tape to tape off any outlets or anything that you dont want to get the spray on.
- Bora care chemical.
Step 2: Bora care is a very thick liquid so it is a good idea to have on hand a mixer with a drill and very hot water. Now you have to take an equal amount of hot water and Boracare liquid (1:1 or 1:5 Boracare to water ratio), mix them both into a bucket with the help of a drill.
Step 3: After mixing for a few minutes you will have a good watery solution. Now you just have to pour this solution into the sprayer and you can also add dye if you want to (Shake the sprayer twice after adding dye). Now it is ready to apply.
Where Boracare can be applied: It can be used on most unfinished or raw wood including plywood, particleboard, and wood structural components. It can also be used to prevent subterranean termites from forming mud tubes on surfaces, such as concrete, block, brick, metal, and PVC plumbing pipes.
You can also use boric acid for termites in wood.
4. Terminate Termite Detection and Killing Baits:
This is the most advanced bait system which is quite popular nowadays. It not only detects the activity of active termite infestation but also helps in eliminating their hidden colonies.
In this product, you get a total of 15 stakes, these stakes look like a big injection filled with bait stuff inside. Hexaflomuron is used as the active ingredient in this bait stuff. When the termite ingests it, its growth stops and leads to the termite death.
The best part is that the stuff inside these stakes is based on non-repellent chemical technology and once the termite picks it up, it transfers it to the entire colony, thereby eliminating the entire termite colony.
When the termite eats the stuff inside these stakes, the pop-up indicator gets activated and tells you that there is a termite infestation in that particular area. It helps you detect and treat the infestations at an early stage.
Let us now see its pros and cons and also know how to install these stakes.
- This not only helps you identify termite infestations but also eliminates hidden termite colonies.
- Installing it is quite easy.
- The stuff inside the stakes does not come out so that there is no risk to the plants.
- It is not for indoor purpose.
- Where Taurus SC can eliminate termite colonies in 90 days, it can take from 6 months to 1 year.
- It is toxic to aquatic creatures.
How to Install:
Step 1: First you have to get the stakes out of the box. You have to install these stakes within a distance of at least 10 feet around the perimeter of the house.
Step 2: Keep in mind that you’ll need to install the stakes in the place where you feel excessive moisture or see signs of termites.
Step 3: You can use the small drill tool that comes with this product to install the stakes, but you can also use a drill if the soil surface is hard.
Stp 4: Once you have installed the stakes, you have to monitor them every month. Remember they last only for 1 year, after that you have to replace them.
I believe now you got your answer that what chemical kills termites. These four chemicals are very popular and the first three are also used by most professionals.
These chemicals are legal to buy in most of the states and by applying DIY techniques you can save yourself from breaking the bank.
We’ve talked about liquid chemicals, baits, and foam for termites. Now let me tell you about some best termite killer sprays that work well on mild or slightly higher levels of infestation.
3 Best Termite Killer Sprays:
sprays are mostly used for flying termites. Because none of the chemicals can instantly kill them.
If the flying termites are not killed immediately, they form new colonies, so that the infestation spreads more.
These sprays can kill flying termites as well as dry wood termites, subterranean termites, and damp wood termites.
1. TERRO T1901-6:
This is a very popular spray against termites. It can kill termites almost instantly as Deltamethrin.03% has been used as an active ingredient in it which disrupts termite’s normal nervous system function.
You have to apply it in termite galleries or pinholes from where the termites are coming out. Once applied it lasts for up to 1 month.
2. BioAdvanced Concentrate:
It is just like Termidor foam but the difference between the two is that Termidor foam is non-repellant whereas it kills termites at the contact level. While Termidor Foam takes some time to kill termites, this spray kills them instantly.
It uses Imidacloprid 0.05% as an active ingredient. This active ingredient kills the termite by disrupting the nervous system of termite.
3. Spectracide Terminate Termite Killing Foam2:
This spray is most commonly used for wood infestations. This is also a foam spray that kills termites instantly. As an active ingredient, prallethrin has been used in it. It can kill all types of termites instantly. You can spray it on mud tunnels, pinholes, and where you see termite activity.
For indoor termite infestations, the best chemical is Termidor foam and for outdoor, you can use Taurus SC or Terminate Termite Bait System.
For wood infestations, I would suggest you use Boracare as it provides lifelong termite protection. And for flying termites, I have recommended you some best sprays that kill flying termites instantly.
At the time of pre-construction or renovation, if you want the satisfaction that termites never attack your house, then you can use Taurus SC. It protects your home from termites consistently for 10 years.
Termidor Foam and Boracare are best for indoor protection from termites at the time of new construction.
I hope by now you have understood what chemical kills termites effectively or prevents them from coming back. You can write your suggestion to us in the comment box given below.